Lipinski Sound L-70 Self Powered Studio Monitor
Two-way active monitor, sporting an elastically suspended amplifier - eliminating enclosure vibrations to the electronics, vibrations that degrade sound.
Unique qualities of the Lipinski L-70 Reference Monitor:
We were reluctant to build amplifiers into the speaker enclosure, for a considerable amount of time. Until we challenged ourselves to
improve on the existing offer of Self-powered monitors available today.
After numerous blind-tests, we separated the amplifiers from their enclosures (while keeping faithful to our sealed cabinet philosophy), noticing
that the monitors started sounding much better.
Therefore finally we developed a concept of an integrated amplifier, which is elastically placed on top of the speaker enclosure, and connected
with very short and ’soft’ speaker cables to the drivers, rendering them better at reducing vibration.
Another reason for separating the enclosure from the amplifier is to use exclusively class A electronics: class A power amp, low order class A
crossover, and filter components. All of these can run hot during loud playback.
Therefore in addition, we installed a silent, large blade fan that turns very slowly during soft playback, while its speed incrementally increases when
playback grows louder. Due to this feature, it’s impossible to hear the fan itself.
For the L-70, as well as for all of our self powered monitors, we implemented a parametric EQ to cure the most common room acoustics problem:
interaction of two largest parallel surfaces - the ceiling and floor.
The EQ can be adjusted between 60-160Hz. If floor to ceiling distance is 10’, dividing speed of sound (1,125 ft/s) by 10’, gives the frequency
in which we can begin to expect some problems - in this case it’s 112,5Hz, for which our EQ compensates accordingly.
Since our expertise shows that a vented enclosure delivers bass distortion, the L-70 and all our speakers are sealed. Furthermore, we developed
a special mid-woofer custom-made for us under our design, by Danish manufacturer Scan-Speak.
While the tweeter is also custom-made for us by Scan-Speak, and uses a neodymium magnet, which delivers much lower distortion.
After numerous tests, it is our acknowledgement, that the L-70 is predestined to become a new generation of nearfield / midfield monitors.
But we also intend to make it upgradable to a full range reference, All-Class-A, tri-amplified monitor, with a soffit-mount feature.
A Self Powered supplementary subwoofer will be available this Winter 2014/2015. Since the L-70’s crossover point is relatively high at ~4kHz, and
crossover point for 1000W subwoofer will be at ~140Hz, the power handling of the full range system will be very high.
Considering Lipinski Sound All-Class-A discrete designs, the concept is based on the Lipinski Square – pure class A Operational Amplifier. Akin to the
Jensen 990, API 2520 or GML 8202 discrete opamps, except that instead of class AB, Lipinski is truly class A, and requires very little negative
feedback – vacuum tube like.
Moreover, there isn’t a single capacitor or coil in the signal path. It has much lower phase shift and distortion than any similar OpAmp on the market.
This patented technology took years to develop, and to our knowledge the L-70 is the only Self Powered monitor on the market offering all class A electronics.
- Based on our Signature Series: custom drivers
- cabinet made of 1 1/4" (30mm) MDF with internal bracing
- Based on our latest development in amplifier technology:
- Lipinski Square - class A modules patented circuitry
- No capacitors in the signal path
- No Integrated Circuits in the signal path
- 2 x 300W power amplifiers
- To avoid vibration caused by speaker proximity to power amplifier -which causes a significant amount of microphonic effect distortion - we used custom construction and dampening
- Low order crossover
- Oversized power supply
- Sophisticated tweeter protection
- 1 dB step adjustable high and low frequencies
- Subwoofer high-pass filter
- Balanced/unbalanced Inputs and throughputs
- 100-240V /50-60Hz operation
- One 1" (25mm) Neodymium Ring Radiator tweeter
- One 7" (18cm) Glass Fiber Mid-Woofer
- Frequency response: 63Hz-20kHz +/- l/4dB (38Hz-40kHz +/- 3dB)
- Speaker-to-speaker consistency: +/- l/4d
- Dimensions: 17.5" H x 10" W x 12.6" D (44.5cm x 25,4cm x 32cm)
- Weight: 39 lbs (17.5 kg)